The status of professional person denotes responsibility and obligation beyond the important and immediate aim of striving for clients’ interests. Practising the law is a privilege that should be repaid to wider society and to worthwhile causes. Over many years Duncan has engaged pro bono in charitable and other deserving causes:
- Founding governor, legal advisor to and fundraiser for a major independent school,
- Organising and funding numerous substantial charitable fundraising events for community causes,
- Founder, Secretary and honorary solicitor for an association of 1,500 residents resisting serious ongoing planning abuses,
- Chair of a national inquiry and review for a major national charity and lead author of the report that followed,
- Pro bono public advocacy for UK citizens facing serious legal issues in relation to their overseas properties,
- Founder of a community interest company comprising professionals, politicians, academics, scientists and field experts committed to the protection of Asian elephants,
- Duncan donates all receipts from bestselling books he has authored to charitable causes.
Duncan has spoken for such causes in the European Parliament, Westminster, at the Cambridge Union and other UK universities and to many professional audiences. He has contributed numerous articles and features to the leading digital and print media outlets.
Duncan strongly believes that engaging in charitable and deserving causes broadens one’s outlook and understanding of life, to the benefit of his input into cases he conducts for his clients.